Agric Engineering and Irrigation
Agricultural Engineering and Irrigation Department (AE&ID) is one of the seven core departments in NAERLS. This department have four (4) options namely Farm Power and machinery, Soil and Water, Crop processing and Storage and Irrigation Agronomy. Also, the Institute Geographic Information System (GIS) is in AE&ID.
The Department mandate is to verity and developed equipment/machine, in terms of efficiency, capacity, operation and maintenance. Conduct training on equipment/machine usage, irrigation management and other related activities.
The Expertise of the department include but not limited to:
- Design develops machines/Equipment to ease agricultural activities e.g. planters, weeders, threshers/shelters, dryers etc.
- Design and construction of Irrigation channels for farmers
- Design and development of storage structures for farmers
- Development of crop processing machines
- Train farmers on machines/equipment development and maintenance
- Conduct quantification and farm area measurement using GIS
- Conduct tractors services such as land clearing, ploughing, harrowing and ridging.
- Offer extension advisory services.
The routine activities of the department includes:
- Tractor hiring services
- Irrigation management
- Monthly departmental meetings
- Monthly seminars among departmental staffs
- Periodic attendance of conferences
- Preparation of quarterly and Annual Reports
- Participation in Annual Agricultural Performance Survey
- Participation in the conduct of National Agricultural Extension Review and Planning Meeting.
- Various Trainings e.g. N-Power Training
The department has been included in some projects which include but not limited to:
- Verification trial of vegetable production under greenhouse.